Hypertension or high blood pressure has become a very common disease nowadays. There would be at least one person in every house who is suffering from this disease. The major reasons for the rapid rise in the number of persons having high blood pressure is the modern lifestyle and unhealthy food habits. Hypertension by itself is a silent disease, but uncontrolled and long-standing cases of hypertension can lead to several dangerous complications. Stroke, cardiac arrest, cardiovascular diseases and kidney failure being some of the common ones.
Primary prevention of hypertension can be done by reducing salt intake in the diet. Other simple yet effective steps to prevent hypertension includes adopting a healthy and balanced food habits, doing some physical exercises and getting rid of addictions like smoking and alcoholism.
A person who has been diagnosed with high blood pressure will be given health advice and medicines to reduce and keep the blood pressure in the target normal range. But, in order to start and maintain a proper treatment, doctors rely mainly on blood pressure recordings. The more frequently you record the blood pressure values, the better it is for your doctor to titrate the dosage of medicines.
This is where a digital blood pressure device like the Omron BP monitor comes into the limelight. The hypertensive patient can monitor the blood pressure in the comforts of their home and even make the device memorize the recorded values! This can be immensely useful for the doctors as well as the patients.
This article is a review of the Omron 10 series arm cuff type digital blood pressure monitoring device. The features, pros, cons and verdict of this device is covered below :
Professional accuracy is one of the most attractive feature of Omron 10 series blood pressure monitors. The device automatically takes 3 readings one minute apart and intelligently displays the average value!
Easy one touch operation button. This makes it possible for persons belonging to all age groups to easily check their blood pressure without any hassle.
Large display makes it easier even for the visually impaired to read the blood pressure value. It displays the blood pressure as well as the pulse/heart rate of the person.
Wireless bluetooth technology available in model number BP786
Irregularities in the heart beat is detected in 7 & 10 series of Omron monitors.
High blood pressure alarm helps make the person vigilant. He/She may need to attend the nearby hospital if other associated symptoms are present along with a very high value. Examples of these symptoms include : headache, dizziness, vomiting, numbness, tiredness, blurring of vision, chest pain, excessive sweating, breathlessness, weakness of one or more limbs etc.
The arm cuff can comfortably be used for arm circumferences from 9 to 17 inches. In other words, it can be used in children aged 8 and above. The easy to use “ComFit” cuffs automatically wraps around the whole arm thereby compressing the brachial artery.
You don’t have to write down the BP recordings in a book, thanks to the memory power of the device. It can store up to 200 values.
The cuff is inflated automatically to the right point. This is made possible by the “intelli-sense” technology.
- Large display with backlight,
- One touch easy operation,
- Professional level accuracy
- Works with AC adapter or 4 AA batteries
- Affordable price,
- Memory power to store the values,
- ComFit cuffs suits a wide range of arm sizes,
- Intelli-sense technology,
- Additional heart rate monitor
- No “talk-out-loud” feature
- Heavy, and hence difficult to carry around while travelling,
- Taking 3 readings in a row can be a painful process,
- If you want a device with “talk-out-loud” feature, you should check out the new wrist type monitors by HealthSmart.
- If money is a concern, check out the 3 series and 5 series blood pressure monitor from Omron, which has almost the same features as this one, and is affordable too. Features like wireless bluetooth, irregular heart beat detector will be missing though.
- Go for the LotFancy blood pressure monitors to get an FDA approved device plus some of the best features mentioned in this page at a very affordable cost! Be careful while choosing the cuff size with this device as it comes in different sizes and may not suite all.
- If you are looking for new technology, here is the new “wireless wrist” type blood pressure monitor from Omron.
The Omron 10 series upper-arm blood pressure monitor does a decent job of what it is supposed to do. It has been in the market for a while now. Many hospitals and doctors recommend it for use at home. Be in control of your blood pressure with this “must have” device. Buy one today and gift it to your parents or loved ones.
If you liked this post, do us a favour by subscribing to our newsletters.
Latest posts by Dr Prasoon (see all)
- Handling Government Fund as the Medical Officer - February 17, 2018
- 99 DOTS, TB Control in India takes new road - February 10, 2018
- National De-Worming Day in India, February 8, 2018 - February 3, 2018